- … improving our leadership abilities through the development process described in this book (Launching A Leadership Revolution) is key to unleashing the potential hidden within.
- “I never cease to be amazed that organizations do not insist that their leaders be continually improving and persistently working toward becoming the best leaders they can be. With the awesome responsibility of leading others and the high stakes involved, it seems obvious to me that organizations would focus their attention on helping their leaders develop their leadership skills and thereby their character.” (James C. Hunter)
- Leadership is the key that opens the lock on that potential. Time and again we have seen people come alive and achieve things they never thought possible, once they started learning to take responsibility for leadership. The results, quite frankly, have been revolutionary.
- In the beginning, revolutions begin with unrest on the part of one person or perhaps a small group of individuals.
- Usually because of their passion for the ideals espoused by the leaders, other people are drawn into the effort. Gradually, the strivings of these early “initiators” gain momentum, attracting talent and support from broader and broader areas.
- All revolutions start as small rebellions.
- One person can decide to lead. One person can make a difference. One person leading does make a difference.
- For most organizations, management is common and leadership is rare. Our experience has been that, all too often, where good leadership is needed, poor management is there as an imposter.
- Any group, any organization, any cause can be revitalized with proper leadership, but never with great management.
- “You don’t lead by pointing a finger and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case.” (Ken Kesey)
- As you grow in your leadership ability, you will revolutionize your life.
*all quotes are from Woodward and Brady, taken from the introduction to Launching A Leadership Revolution, unless otherwise noted.